Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Week 31: First NST

Greetings Humble Readers...

I had my first NST this time around yesterday morning.  It's early to start them, but Dr. W scheduled it for when she was the on-duty OB at the hospital so we could get an appointment in this month (her schedule is incredibly busy, as she's the only female OB in town). 

As I suspected, Dr. W didn't know what the results were from my last u/s, so the placenta previa issue is still a mystery.  She was significantly annoyed when I told her that the u/s tech didn't do an internal scan.  I strongly suspect there will be an appointment with "Wanda" in my near future.

The test went well.  The Halfling's heartrate was around 142 bpm, and he/she was moving around significantly so all looked good there.  My blood pressure was a little bit high (not scary high, but higher than it has been for the last couple of months), but I really think it was because there was another woman in the maternity triage room who was seriously in labour.  They were getting a room prepped for her, but she was very vocal throughout her contractions, and no matter how much you understand why, when you're lying on a hospital bed next to someone who's moaning and crying in pain... it has an affect. 

Ginny was with me at the NST, and she did amazingly well.  She sat in her stroller, eating her goldfish crackers and smiling at the nurses.  She didn't fuss a bit.  She seemed to like listening to the Halfling's heartbeat. 

On to this week's update...


How far along? 31w0d

Maternity clothes? Yup.  They're getting tired.

Body Oddities? VERY dry skin, alternating constipation and IBS flares, back ache, cracking joints, super sore & slightly leaky boobs, dry/itchy eyes, leg cramps, round ligament pain, tingly fingertips, tired, gassy, Braxton Hicks, tendonitis in my thumbs, NEW THIS WEEK: pubic bone pain, hot flashes

Sleep? Not bad actually.  I'm now freezing my Beloved out of the bedroom because of the aforementioned hot flashes.  I have to have the fan on every night and no blankets, and if I could, I would have the window open.  My Beloved buries himself up to his eyebrows with the duvet in order to prevent frostbite. 

Intense Dreams? Nothing memorable this week. 

Best moment this week? My NST yesterday.  Ginny was incredibly well-behaved, and the Halfling co-operated nicely throughout the test. 

Worst moment? I've had a couple of instances of some really intense round ligament pain.  Usually happens at very inopportune moments.

Movement? Following each meal (Halfling really reacted strongly to the chicken curry last night), and all evening. 

Food cravings/aversions? Chocolate-mint anything (a combo I normally don't like at all), chocolate anything, sweet anything..

Rings? Had to take them off this morning.  Weight is holding steady, but I have been dealing with some water retention. 

Gender? Still think it's a girl, and Dr. W referred to the Halfling as 'she' at my NST.  She-hobbit is also leading in the poll on the right.  But I was sooooo sure that Ginny was going to be a boy, and well... we know how that turned out.  :)

Medical Concerns? Gestational Diabetes (insulin 5 times a day), High blood pressure (on 50mg of lobetalol 3x daily), continued heartburn (on 60mg of Pan.taloc daily), kidney stones, low lying placenta, low iron.

What I miss?  Iced chai lattes, being able to shave my legs while in the shower, being able to go from sitting to standing without having to pee right away.

What I look forward to? Going to see the Hunger Games this weekend, an end to winter (it just won't die!), possibly doing some Ikea shopping in a few weeks.

Emotional State?  Pretty good for the most part.  I do get easily frustrated tho (like when I got a bill from the government today for a mess up on my taxes from last year... grrr!).

4 comments :

  1. I wouldn't say easily frustrated... getting a bill from the IRS would ruin anyone's day. I remember sitting in the ER for my post c-section massive uterine infection, almost dying, and a lady came in in full labor, like baby head hanging out labor. And even though I was, quite literally, almost dead... I still was glad it wasn't me in labor. LOL. Well, I do hope you have a nice date with Wanda. Give her my love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your first NST went so well and that Ginny was such an angel. What a good big girl! My third NST is tomorrow, as well as BPP. Will keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you....glad the NST went well...

    I so hear you on being next to a labouring woman.

    In one of my last CTGs prior to birth, I was set up in a room next to a woman in labour...I know what the shrieks feel like...

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear your test went well. my blood pressure was high at odd times during my pregnancy too, and sometimes it was just because i was stressed because of a test or ultrasound, and one time it was because i was late (i hate being late).

    love the hobbit blog theme! i am well acquainted as my husband is obsessed with everything lord of the rings!

    ReplyDelete

Hobbits are social creatures, and love hearing from friends old and new. Pull up a comfy chair and let's get to know one another.